15 May 2009

Ma dernière semaine complète du semestre (My last full week of the semester)

Yes, the title is correct… I only have three days left of class at the Sorbonne. THREE!

While I am sad that only having three more days of Sorbonne classes does mean the semester is coming to an end, I am honestly ready to be done with my grammar class (I’m sorry in advance if this turns into a rant). I have become incredibly frustrated with my grammar professor. She is very nice and patient, but is perhaps one of the worst teachers I have had. She doesn’t teach us anything! This past week we should have been reviewing for our big test next week. Instead she has been handing us worksheets with unorganized explanations of complicated grammar concepts, reading them out loud and then giving us exercises to do. She doesn’t write anything on the board, doesn’t give good explanations for the reason why things are they way they are and even has to look up the answers herself. I’m definitely going to have to teach myself a lot of things for this exam!

In my ACCENT class this week we watched the very famous French film from 1939 “Les Enfants du Paradis” (The Children of Paradise). It is their equivalent of the Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz or Gone With the Wind. I’m not always the biggest fan of French movies because I find them kind of twisted and a little too realistic, but I was really interested in this film. It is a triangle love story of actors with a little murder mixed in. I would recommend it if you are into old movies and are up for reading subtitles for almost three hours!

Last night my host mom invited the German boy, Morritz, who is renting out the other bedroom in our apartment to have dinner with us. It is the first time I’ve had a real conversation with him since he’s lived here, which is a huge shame because he’s a really nice guy! We sat for two hours after dinner just talking about American culture and our studies. He is turning 19 on Monday and has been working in Paris since he finished high school. His step-dad is American so he knows English pretty well but we spoke in French. He was really interested to hear about the drinking age in America and how we can drive with permits before we are even 16. We both laughed at the fact that he’s German, I’m American and yet we were sitting in a kitchen in Paris speaking French to one another.

Yesterday I had a “Wow, I’m in Paris” moment. I was standing waiting for the bus in Place de la Concorde surrounded by the Tuileries Gardens, the Louvre, Rue de Rivoli, the Place de la Concorde itself, Les Invalides, L’Assemblé Nationale, the American Embassy and the Champs-Elysees. It’s a place I’ve stood many times before but sometimes take for granted. I actually teared up a little at the thought of leaving this city that I’ve really grown to love.

That being said, I have been craving American things (mostly food) lately. On Wednesday I went with some friends to a place called “Breakfast in America” for lunch. I overpaid for the biggest stack of banana pancakes with MAPLE SYRUP I have ever seen. It was SO delicious and such a great reminder of home!

The weather hasn’t been so great in Paris. In fact, it has been significantly colder than normal. We’re going to brave the weather this weekend though and try to finish a lot of things on our list of things to see before we leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment